Environmental management system refers to planning and development of resources, organizational structure and implementation of policy to save the environment. ISO 14001:2015 was released in 2015. The main service that comes under it is the protection of the environment by keeping certain ISO standards in mind. Environmental management system comes under PDCA cycle i.e. Plan Do Check Act. Environmental management standard such as 'ISO 14001:2015 certification' involves an environmental policy of an organization. These standards are designed in such a way to help an organization by every possible protective method. The factors that come under the protection of the environment are check pollution regularly and improve the environmental performance by considering the situation. Therefore, this is never ending process for the sake of improvement and protection of the environment.
Purpose of ISO 14001
Protecting the environment & conserving natural resources has become a global priority among businesses because environmentally conscious organization & customers prefer to do business with like-minded partners. Demonstrating that your company cares about the environment gives your company an edge over the competitors delivers value and improves your company's image, which in turn increases revenues.
Management of environmental issues for an organization considering the interested parties concern is the main challenge of the business besides the reducing the direct & indirect impact on environment.
Achieving environmental performance with improvement is demanded by the regulatory bodies, customers and other stack holders due to increased concerned along with environmental compliance. Certification to ISO 14001 demonstrates your company's commitment to caring for environment and provides a framework for an organization to manage its legal compliance and improve environmental performance, including risk and opportunity identification, analysis, target setting, and measurement. It also delivers significant cost benefits in terms of increased efficiency, conserving resources and waste minimization.
Continual environmental improvement through ISO 14001
Environmental aspects and its impacts are identified by a team of experts and setting of objective to reduce its significance by giving priority to achieve these through a frame work of management programs which identify the resources & approach to achieve the desired goal. Timely review of achieved objective & new process area will direct the organization to set the next goal towards improvement.
Main uses of ISO standards in EMS
This can further help in observe the current and future Legal requirements of environment management system. This can lead to involvement of employees for the development process. It can improve the reputation of the company and build the confidence of stakeholders through well-planned communication. Developments of New products Processes are depended upon it. Encourage better environmental performance of suppliers by integrating them into the organization's business systems.
ISO 14001 is based on two concepts one is continual improvement & regulatory compliance. It lays forth a best practice for proactive management of the environmental impact of your organization and may be combined with certification to other management system standards, e.g. ISO 9001 and OHSAS 18001.
Some of the key benefits are listed below:
- Provide & enhanced customer confidence and satisfaction, which in turn can lead to increased business opportunities.
- Facilitate reductions in pollution, waste, energy, injuries, and incidents.
- Better meet environmental legal compliance and corporate requirements.
- Provide a tool for environmental performance improvement and the means to effectively monitor and measure environmental performance.
- Provide a well-defined and clear framework, which is also flexible to your own business needs and expectations.
- The certification process can reduce the amount of supplier audits, thereby reducing costs.
- A significant competitive advantage because customer companies require management system certification from suppliers and sub-contractors in order to conduct business with them.
Phases of Environmental Management system:
The 5 key phases are defined with respect to ISO 14001 Certification:
- Phase 1: The best ideas are implementing for environmental goals and policies.
- Phase 2: This involves strategic planning with innovative ideas is implemented for the elements of EMS.
- Phase 3: After the completion of above two requirements the execution of EMS is processed.
- Phase 4: Certain measures or protection methods are implemented if there is any issue while sorting out the problem. Correction process also starts side by side.
- Phase 5: Evaluation of process take place, this is important for the effectiveness of EMS. Thus, if any problems occur after analyzing then a new cycle starts for more improvement.